In light of all the fires it is a timely reminder for all of us to check our smoke alarms. Most building fire fatalities occur while people are asleep so of course smoke alarms can be life saving.
Legislation requires all NSW residents must have at least one working smoke alarm installed on each level of their home. This includes owner occupied, rental properties, relocatable homes or any other residential building where people sleep.
Responsibilities of landlords and tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act are:
- Landlords are responsible for installing smoke alarms in rented premises.
- Landlords have the right of access to rented premises to fit or maintain smoke alarms after giving the tenant at least 2 days notice.
- Neither the landlord nor the tenant are, except with reasonable excuse, permitted to remove or interfere with the operation of a smoke alarm fitted in the rented premises.
- Where a smoke alarm is of the type that has a replaceable battery, it is recommended that a new battery is put in at the commencement of a tenancy.
- After the tenancy begins, the tenant is responsible for replacing the battery if needed. Fire and Rescue NSW can assist elderly tenants or those physically unable to change a smoke detector battery.
- The condition report includes a specific reference to smoke alarms so that tenants and landlords are able to note and comment on the presence of smoke alarms at the beginning and end of the tenancy.
SMOKE ALARMS AUSTRALIA
Smoke Alarms Australia is Australias’s leading and longest running residential smoke alarm specialist. We highly recommend to all our landlords to consider using a smoke alarm specialist.
For an all-inclusive fee of $99 Smoke Alarms Australia will:
- Check the location and number of alarms required as per building codes
- Check the expiry date of each alarm and replace if necessary with Australian Standard photoelectric alarms
- Replace all alarms that are not properly functioning (including hard wired alarms)
- Clean the alarm and replace battery
- Test each alarm with artificial smoke
- Issue a compliance certificate
- Schedule a return within 12 months (or at new tenancy agreement)
For more information please contact Ray White Real Estate Narraweena